Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Its Not The Same

"I want a divorce", my husband of 8 years was telling me.
 
"David please! Give it a chance. I know this is hard but you cant just throw away 8 years of your life just like that".
 
"8 Years that I dont even remember", he said.
 
"Baby, you were in an accident. You have amnesia, the doctor said..."
 
"I dont want to hear what the doctor said," he screamed. I'm sick of the doctors, Im sick strangers in my face day in and day out, telling me stories, trying to get me to remember things."
 
"David, baby..its only been a year."
 
"Thats easy for you to say. It hasn't been a year of living with a stranger for you. You still have all your memories".
 
"No its not easy for me! How do you think I feel knowing the man I love with all my heart, doesn't even remember me, or the love he once had for me. What happened? Huh? Did your love for me die in the accident? I go to bed everynight hoping and praying that you wake up and remember what we once had."
 
"Thats just it. Exactly what I've been trying to tell you for the last few weeks. Its been a year now and nothings change. Its not the same. I've tryed to remember. Your always so quick to throw in what the doctor said. Well, the doctor also said, theres a chance I'll never get back those lost memories".
 
"I understand what your saying David".
 
"No, you dont understand Emily! My life is gone! The life we once had is over! Im not the same person anymore!
 
"You dont have to scream at me", Emily said, trying to hold back the tears.
 
He stopped pacing the floor for a minute and took a deep breath. Reaching for her, he took both of her hands in his, looked her in the eyes and said, "I know this is hard for you to accept. Hard for you to let go. But Im not the man you fell in love with. And it hurts me to even say this, but the man I am today is not in love with you".
 
She snatched her hands away. Tears flowing down her face faster than she could wipe them away.
 
"I'll never understand why you couldn't try harder. Why you gave up so easy. But if your this unhappy being with me, I'll give you a divorce".
 
She ran upstairs, falling face down on the bed, buried her face inside her pillow and cryed herself to sleep. When she woke up 2 hours later she noticed the closets were open and all of Davids clothes were gone. She quickly went thru all the rooms, doing a quick inventory of the house. Her husband was gone. And he wasnt coming back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

is that the end?  I hope she goes on to meet someone else....or the story goes on to show that actually before the accident....he was having an affair and he remembers everything!  Or....something...LOL

Anonymous said...

Very good!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Keep up the wonderful writing!

Anonymous said...

Woah!

Amelia said...

Awww now that was sad. Things like that really happen though. people get into accidents and they may remember everything but their personalities change. Life is so fragile!

*M*